Friday, February 24, 2012

Before and After Kitchen

A before and after kitchen/breakfast room remodel of mine from a few  + years ago.  The 1990 dated finishes had to go.  Glossy small tile, dated wallcovering and window treatments, tired cabinetry, mauve solid surface counters and splash were out.  The homeowner wanted a more sophisticated, neutral palette with a traditional look. 


Before

After

I felt the big space needed some contrast.  The homeowner had selected the dark granite when she came to me so I chose a paint color in a similar value for some contrast in the cabinetry.  All cabinetry was existing, we added some traditional details like legs and paneling to the island and brackets and seed glass panels to some of the upper cabinets.


Before



After

I love the delicatus granite on the island.  Doing a contrasting granite here took some convincing!



before

Look at that awkward backsplash.  We spent some money relocating outlets and switches as best we could (with remodels sometimes that's all you can do) and I did a low backsplash that would blend with the counters.  The switches that still showed were done in a Lutron color to match the wall color to minimize the visual clutter.


After


Before

A corner fireplace that you really never noticed when you walked around the corner into the kitchen.



After

We went floor to ceiling tumbled travertine and furred out a bit to make that corner fireplace a star.



wet bar before


after

Before - looking through to the breakfast room and view from the kitchen



After Breakfast Room

What a beautiful view they have.  We highlighted it by framing the windows in a contrasting color to blend with the black window frames.  All her furniture was reused and reupholstered.  We even just ended up painting her bar stools and reusing them.

Done some 5 years ago, I think it's stood the test of time.  These clients were such a delight to work with.  I went back a few years later and redid their master bedroom and bath.  Repeat clients are the holy grail of an interior design business.  You don't have to prove yourself again! 

All After photos by Cliff Roe


11 comments:

Jessie said...

Carla, I love how you transformed her kitchen, fireplace, wet bar and breakfast room. I like how you use contrast with the cabinets and island and also eliminate the awkward backplash. Awkward backsplash is one of your pet peeves, isn't it? It's one of mine too. :) The fireplace has a significant transformation and it's taking center stage now because it's just so beautiful. You did a marvelous job with these spaces so I am not surprised you were hired by them again to design their master bedroom and bath!

Thanks for sharing your work with us.

By the way, I just tagged you with 11 questions on my blog. Hope you play along, Carla! :)

Have a fabulous weekend!

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

Splendid Sass said...

Wow! You really transformed these spaces, Carla!! Just gorgeous. You do beautiful work.
Happy Friday.
Teresa
xoxo

designchic said...

Now that's a transformation, Carla. Love the color combination and the tile work around the fireplace is stunning...happy weekend~

Hill Country House Girl said...

Hi Carla, thanks so much for your visit to Hill Country House and your positive comments on my kitchen! You have such fine taste and helped these clients clean up and "fine tune" their space so well. It kind of makes me feel like a crazy person must live in my kitchen - oh well, maybe she does!! You are right - I injected my personality right into it!! Oh well - it makes me happy and that's the point, right? You took this kitchen from rather ordinary to elegant! The tile work around the fireplace is gorgeous, and I so agree about those electrical outlets - those were so misplaced, and you helped a ton with those. What a beautiful job!! Hope you are having a great weekend! Ann

Taylor Greenwalt said...

Very impressive. It looks so much better, especially the fireplace. Good job Carla! Your clients must be so happy....

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Beautiful work....and, indeed, it DID stand the test of time! That fireplace is gorgeous...and the VIEW!! Oh!

Naz said...

I absolutely love what you did with this kitchen and actually believed it was something you just completed. It's something that too few people know how to make a room look timeless. Bravo!

Rooms by Ann said...

you did an amazing job, I like the contrast of the cabinets. I am trying to be brave and try it. Thanks for sharing . Happy yo be your newest follower.

Janette - The2Seasons said...

Such an improvement. I like the dark cabinets.

Sharon @ mrshinesclass said...

WOW!!! Beautiful transformation! Love the element of contrast. And I really love the architectural pieces you added to the island.
So glad I found you at the Open House Party...So exciting to find another blogger in The Woodlands too!

Sharon @ mrs. hines class

Kim said...

All I have is "WOW!

Visit InfoServe for Blogger backgrounds or to create a website.