Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Bathroom Mirrors and Lighting



Master Bath Remodel Project  - onyx mosaic tile behind mirror

I've been doing a lot of bathroom remodeling design in the last few years.  How I handle the mirrors is always a key element in the design of the space.  I like to use two different approaches now, never being particularly fond of the typical fixture posted on the wall right over the mirror and the sink.  I use sconces when I can, it provides nice lighting directly on the face. One approach I like is using a framed mirror with sconces and some kind of special wall treatment on the wall behind the mirror, tile or wallpaper, to add a custom look and luxurious feel to the space. 



Showhouse Bathroom - Spring 2011 - wallpaper behind custom framed mirror





Powder Bath Remodel - glass mosaic tile behind mirror





Powder Bath Remodel - light emperador marble tile behind custom mirror

In this powder bath above, the marble on the counter just continues up the wall and accentuates the verticality of the space.





Master Bath Remodel - dark emperador marble slab splash with inset wood framed mirror



I love the tiled wall in the image below from AD. Lighting, mirrors, cabinet all seem to float on that tile.




Shelton, Mendel, and Assoc. - Architectural Digest





Sometimes there is no room for sconces beside the mirror, clients don't want to go to the trouble to relocate j-boxes and do sheetrock work, or they just want a lot of mirror.


My Bathroom Remodel
In my bathroom above, I put the sconce on a large mirror.  I didn't want to break the vanity area up with two framed mirrors and wanted the space to feel bigger so I went wall to wall mirror.





Master Bath Remodel

In this bathroom remodel above, I left the j-boxes where they were and took the mirror higher.  It sort of doubles the lights in the room, reflecting the fixture back into the space.



More examples by other designers of fixtures on mirrors.  It really allows for a bigger mirror, makes things feel more spacious, and brings more light into the room.


Traditional Home



David Kleinberg - Architectural Digest




Donna Livingston - Architectural Digest





Kippie Leland - Schumacher website

That sconce on the mirror just got doubled!


Doing some kind of special treatment at the mirror and vanity lights creates a custom look in a bathroom.  Your eye always goes there, so why not make it special?




I've moved! Check out my new blog at Designed w/Carla Aston!


21 comments:

Jessie said...

You are right, Carla. Incorporating tiles or wallpaper or any kind of special treatment behind the mirror makes the bathroom vanity looks more luxurious and beautiful.

I am still very much in love with your bathroom (the first image). I also like all the AD's bathrooms, they are so sleek, modern and gorgeous!

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

Unknown said...

Wow ! what an interesting blog.Thanks for sharing this
information.Your information is really informative for us.
Nice blog on bathroom remodeling design.
Keep sharing more & more.....

quintessence said...

Love sconces and use them often!! Love walllpaper in a bath - just bought for my powder room!!

Kathysue said...

Carla such wonderful examples of how special elements make all the difference in a bathroom. I love the wallpaper in the first image, Kathysue
PS thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such a sweet comment on my backyard blues post. We really do enjoy sitting back there. In fact we had dinner out there and then hot chocolate by the chimnea with one of my kiddos last night, xo Kathysue

Mary Ann Pickett said...

You are really talented!!! I think a pretty bath makes life so pleasant! I always get nervous putting sconces on mirrors but love the look...the glass people always warn about the electrician breaking it...hasn't happened so far. The glam tile looks great with the rustic mirror...and I love the shape of the first mirror, and how the sconce color blends so well with the elegant tile. Way to go, Carla!

Anonymous said...

so many options for bathroom lighting...and so many great examples...love your designs Carla..
best,
maureen

Kellie Collis said...

How wonderful! I'm loving those double vanities! Enjoy the the gorgeous weekend, Kellie xx

Karen said...

We currently have your basic builder's special in our master bath, big old piece of mirror and basic lighting that throws off harsh light. I long for a bath that looks like any of these.

Mona Thompson Providence Ltd. said...

Carla, these are all beautiful. My very favorite is yours. I love that incredible sconce on the mirror. XO, Mona

glamour drops said...

You have such a varied style - which is very impressive. Yes, they all have mirrors - but that's where the similarity ends in your beautiful designs shown here! I love that. Each obviously is inspired by the clients, the property, the circumstance.

Ann said...

I love the mirrors you choose,

they have character and looks

perfect in each space you placed

them in.

designchic said...

Love your bathroom remodel with the amazing sconces in the mirror and the first bathroom is wonderful!!

hong kong property said...

a collection of really impressive bathrooms!

Hill Country House Girl said...

Chocolate glass mosaic tile behind the mirror with sconces on the side walls - fabulous! I also love your bathroom counters and the towel racks hanging in front of the sink. Very very pretty.

Unknown said...

Hey that's really a great post and a wonderful description out here, I really like the way things are being executed and discussed here.

Bathroom lightings

Unknown said...

Excellent blog...Thanks for sharing this bathroom design mirrors
blog with nice pictures.

Unknown said...

I also discovered your content very exciting. Actually after examining, I had to go display it to my companion.

http://www.paragonremodeling.com/bathrooms.html

Anonymous said...

Excellent site, keep up the good work, my colleagues would love this. I read a lot of blogs every day, and for the most part the authors lack substance, but not in this case. I just wanted to make a short comment to say I’m glad I found your blog, I'm gonna bookmark the designinthewoods.blogspot.com web site. Thanks

Bathroom Lighting said...

This lighting design is amazing! I love these lights.

Custom Mirrors Nassau County said...

Your mirrors look absolutely gorgeous. I'm sinking my teeth into the thought of having that brown one in my bathroom, so cultured.

-Irwin Zinkin

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this idea.
I did this just this weekend to three of my mirrors.
Once you trim the tiles off of the mesh it goes super quick.
I used the smaller glass tiles for a mosaic look and am absoutly in love with the end product.
It transforms the look of my bathrooms.
Thank you,
thank you.
thank you!

Visit InfoServe for Blogger backgrounds or to create a website.