Friday, March 25, 2011

Mixing Old and New Furnishings - at the Showhouse


I love eclectic mixes of furnishings. After all, we don't always acquire every bit of new furniture at one time in our lives. Tastes, budgets, and needs change over the years and making the old work with the new can be a challenge. Eclectic doesn't mean jumbled or crazy or anything goes. There has to be purpose to the mix in order for it all to come together. It's really kind of an art.

In my upcoming Showhouse bedroom for an older teen girl, I've used some vintage pieces and some new ones to create a unique space that speaks to the unique personality of my imaginary client. Just like most of us, "Phoebe" likes lots of different styles and finds the art of the mix fun and expressive.


I found this old chair frame in Bryan, TX in a dusty antique shop. I loved the simple lines of the legs, arms, and wings.


I put a Thom Felicia fabric on it and painted the legs in a vibrant turquoise. I love the way the stripes sort of exaggerate the wings. It's a bit whimsical, don't you think?






Here's my grandmother's old 1950's dresser I found in my mother's garage. It was sanded and refinished.




Love the lucite knobs and serpentine base. It has such a nice retro vibe.



Here it is ready to go.





I found these old French fashion magazine ads from the 50's in a local antique mall. Great drawings with a hint of color. I framed them in some Target do-it-yourself metallic frames and some new dark turquoise mats to give them a stronger presence on the white walls.




A consignment store find. Doesn't this scream "grandmother" to you? Doilies? Really? It had such curvy, graceful legs though and a simple design. I thought it would make a great base for my jewelry tree. Phoebe could store bowls of her jewelry around the base.




At the finishing shop. It was mahogany with lots of red in the finish and a little veneer damage. I wanted to take the red out and make it more brown colored. My refinisher had to stain it with a green tinted stain to get about 90% of the red out.





Doesn't it look totally different in a more modern space?



The perfect base for the jewelry tree.





This nightstand had some nice detail, but that red!!!


Painted white to match the walls it takes on a more modern look. Love the brass hardware.




I was looking for a really tall 60's look vintage lamp for the dresser. Perfect!



Primed, painted, rewired, and a new shade later......


Love the color.


Now for some of my new pieces.



Love these mirrors in patterns that repeat my pillow fabric patterns. They will be hung over the head of the bed to reflect the light from the balcony doors. I think they add some glamour to the space.


My ghost chair. It goes anywhere!




The custom queen daybed I had made looks great in the space. I wanted to give my client more floor space for a lounge area in the room and a clear path to the balcony, so I pushed the bed up in the corner of the room. The white vinyl has no grain, it's not pretending to be leather. The bed is designed to be sold as a queen bed with headboard. The side headboard is actually king size and can be removed and used separately. This makes such a great backdrop for my beautiful, graphic pillows.


Just a few of my many pillows that will be tossed on the bed.



I love the new 8' round wool flokati I found online. With my gray sisal on the floor, the white flokati provides a wonderful textural contrast and brings the white color down to the floor.


My new bulletin board I had made to hang over the dresser. White linen with some great tape trim. The pattern repeats the pattern in one of the pillow fabrics.



New ottoman that will sit on the flokati. The Brentano velvet is so rich and plush.








Ready for visitors!





If you are in the Houston area, drop in to the Showhouse in Sienna Plantation! It opens next weekend and runs until April 17th. Open Tuesday through Sunday. Come see the mix!

I'd love for you to visit my new blog, Designed w/Carla Aston. See you there!

If you like an eclectic mix of furnishings but are unsure of how to put it all together, contact Aston Design Studio for a consultation to begin the design of your creative, eclectic interior.



16 comments:

The enchanted home said...

Hi and thanks for stopping by! Wish I was in the Houston area....love going to showhouses..what fun! Like you, I also enjoy eclectic furnishings.....love a mix of trends, when done successfully, it can be fabulous looking. I look forward to seeing what you come up with, have a wonderful weekend!

Kellie Collis said...

Gorgeous finds! It's amazing what little paint can do! Enjoy the beautiful week ahead, Kellie xx

Carol@6WilsonBlog.com said...

Carla, I'm speechless at how GORGEOUS this is going to be!! Please post finished pictures as soon as you have them? That chair is brilliant as are all the other pieces. And totally clever on the bed headboards. I love every single eclectic thing you did! Good luck with the showhouse.

Anonymous said...

oh what fun!!! love all the pieces you found and how you've put them all together...love the granny table that you made a little more towards the brown side, the ottoman, the style of the bed..all of it!!...amazing eclectic finds...good eye...can't wait to see the show house pics...
maureen

Lauren said...

Oooohhh. Love that wing chair!, can't wait to see it all together!!
Xoxo,
Lauren

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

Wow! So many changes for the good!
Great finds, Carla. Can't wait to see the finished room.
Teresa
xoxo

Karen said...

The shape of the chair with the Thom Filicia fabric is so interesting. I know that if I'd seen the frame I would have pictured it in a more serious fabric. I love that you chose something fun for your young "client".

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Lovely room ...love all of the elements. The bed is genious!!

Tammy@InStitches said...

You chose some great pieces and beautiful fabrics. Phoebe will love her new room !

Linda @ theLENNOXX said...

I don't even know where to start here, there's too much fabulousness to handle. Love how the chair turned out, the chest makeover and oh my, what a great idea with the headboards!! And I thought I was lucky at my last flea market trip??!! I just knew this was going to be a great room!

xo Linda

My Notting Hill said...

Looks like it will be a beautiful room. Love the pieces you've selected

Ann said...

I love the pieces you've chosen...
it will definitely has a glam factor going,
luv the chair ♥

Karena said...

Carla, wow you have been busy!! These are great finds and makeovers!! That little chair really caught my eye!!

I have a Giveaway from The Zhush I know you will love!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

designchic said...

Boy, what transformations with a little paint and hard work...they look amazing!!

Sherful said...

Such a creative and beautiful mix of furnishings! I love that you used some vintage pieces.

charleston forge furniture said...

I usually do not post in blogs but yours is amazing and good work.

Visit InfoServe for Blogger backgrounds or to create a website.